Mfantsipim School is an all-boys boarding secondary school in Cape Coast, established by the Methodist Church in 1876 to foster intellectual, moral and spiritual growth on the then Gold Coast. Its founding name was Wesleyan High School and the first Headmaster was James Picot, a French scholar, who was only 18 years old on his appointment.
The school was established to train teachers and began with 17 pupils. It was originally planned to be sited in Accra because the British Government had, by 1870, decided to move the capital of the Gold Coast from Cape Coast to Accra. However, local agitation and the urgent need to put the idea into practice after eleven years of debate pressurised the government to allow the school to begin functioning, but on the understanding that it would later be moved to Accra, though no such move ever took place.
Website Mfantsipim Boys High School
Cape Coast , Central Region
Kotakuruba Street, Cape Coast , Central Region 0233, GH
Get directions Get directions to Kotakuruba Street, Cape Coast , Central Region 0233, GH